Anxiety in its’ various forms can be a debilitating condition for many people, if left untreated. Anxiety is a relatively common mental health issue and treated frequently by therapists at Talkingminds at our inner west Sydney clinic. For many clients, it can feel as though anxiety has crept up over a period of time and can significantly impacts a persons’ quality of life. People with anxiety may also be suffering from depression or depression like symptoms, thus requiring treatment and assessment for both.
There are different types of anxiety disorders and treatment guidelines will vary depending on the type of anxiety you are dealing with. Different types of anxiety disorders include:
- Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Panic disorder and Panic Attacks
- Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)
- Anxiety related to a medical condition
We all experience some anxiety, worry and fear in our everyday life. In fact, small amounts of these feelings can be beneficial in certain situations. However, when these feelings begin to negatively interfere with your life and you are unable to cope with the mounting pressure, it is wise to seek treatment.
There are many symptoms of anxiety, which can include any of the following:
- Excessive worrying, nervousness or feelings of dread
- A fear of real or perceived threats
- Feelings that your future may somehow be cut short
- Difficulties with focus and concentration
- Chest pain and chest tightness that are not medically related
- Heart palpitations or a racing heart that are not medically related
- Body shakes or tremors that are not medically related
- Digestive complaints
- Profuse sweating
- Dramatic weight loss or weight gain
- Difficulty sleeping
- Panic attacks and shortness of breath
Relationship problems, health issues, workplace stress, trauma and low self-esteem can all trigger anxiety. If you spend too much time worrying about things and feel nervous, tense, and stressed regularly you may need to seek psychological therapy. If you need help in recovering from anxiety, please contact us on 02 9114 9977 to discuss how Talkingminds psychologists and therapists in Sydney may be able to assist you.
There are many successful, evidence based therapies available to treat and manage anxiety. At Talkingminds we employ only the best treatment approaches. Recovery from anxiety related conditions is possible and we invite you to discover how therapy can help you regain feelings of ease and calm and regain the confidence you once had.
Although Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is no longer considered an anxiety disorder, many people suffering with OCD will also experience symptoms of other anxiety disorders.