One of the most common mental health issues in Australia; depression is debilitating and can greatly impair the everyday life of sufferers. People living with depression may also be dealing with another mental health issue, including anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Recovering from depression is possible; and with the right support our psychologists and therapists at Talkingminds, inner west Sydney, can support you to do so.
There are various forms of depressive disorders (depression). Whilst there are many common features (symptoms) of depression, no two people will have the exact same experiences of depression and you will have your own ‘depression fingerprint’. Whilst many of us can experience a case of ‘the blues’, clinical depression and depressive disorders are distinctly characterised and significantly impact the functioning and well-being of sufferers. A thorough assessment with a qualified mental health professional is therefore recommended, in order to tailor the best treatment for you. Some people may also be advised by their General Practitioner or a Psychiatrist to take medication (anti-depressant medication) in conjunction with therapy. This recommendation may be for the short, medium or longer term. Regardless, depression treatment and therapy can improve and in some cases alleviate the symptoms of depression so clients can return to a fuller and more meaningful life.
Talkingminds depression treatment and psychological therapies in Sydney can help to identify depression symptoms such as:
- Feelings of helplessness and heaviness
- Difficulty concentrating and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness or excessive sleeping
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interests in activities or hobbies once pleasurable (anhedonia)
- Overeating or appetite loss
- Persistent sad, flat or overwhelming feelings
- Persistent feelings of having nothing to look forward to
- Feelings of separateness from others, including loved ones
- Thoughts of suicide and self-harm, or suicide attempts
Taking the first step towards help and treatment can be the toughest. Our qualified and professional psychologists and mental health social workers are accessible to clients in Sydney CBD, inner west Sydney and surrounding suburbs.