Goal setting… it pays to be more than just SMART
We are told it’s ‘important’ to set goals, to have something to ‘work towards’, we’re even encouraged to begin a new year with a wish list of goals we are seeking for the year forward.
For many years the `SMART’ model of goal setting was popular, that is, that goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timed. This approach has remained popular but lacks the instructive quality of more innovative and cutting edge approaches.
Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP): A more exact approach to Goal Setting
NLP is essentially a model for replicating excellence via neurology, language and programs (habits & patterns), and has proved to be a useful tool for reworking goal setting into a more exact approach.
In NLP terminology, a goal is best named/viewed as an outcome and specifically, following a pattern of excellence, an outcome needs to be well formed.
So, a ‘well formed outcome’ – or better still a ‘well formed high quality outcome’ – using the technology and methodologies of NLP is a more succinct and exact approach for achieving what might be formerly considered a ‘goal’ or ‘goal setting’. It transforms the vagueness of ‘setting a goal’ to an action plan which compels the individual to move toward their desired outcome.
If an outcome really matters to you and you are completely committed to achieving it, then it’s important to employ an optimal approach to achieving such.
Where NLP differs in the field of outcome setting (goal setting) can literally be the difference that makes the difference and considers some of the following:
- That the outcome is stated in positive terms (many an outcome is missed on account of negative, misdirected or vague language).
- That the outcome can be experienced using multi sensory terms. These being visual, auditory, kinaesthetic, olfactory & gustatory.
- That the outcome is ecological. To be ecological the outcome needs to be good for the individual, those around them and the wider society.
- That the outcome is compelling. There needs to be an energetic pull and attraction to achieving the goal.
- That an evidence procedure is stated. Knowing how to evaluate the goal and measure its completion is vitally important.
These steps form a larger picture that evolves into an eloquent methodology designed to optimise, and in some cases guarantee the achievement of an outcome. Not all outcomes will pass the criteria of the NLP well formed outcome process and this is exactly the feedback that the individual may need to refine their process.
Consider NLP based coaching to assist in your goal setting and achieving better outcomes
If you are curious about achieving better outcomes at work, home or generally in life then you may benefit from some NLP based coaching/therapy. Qualified coaches and therapists at Talking Minds may be able to assist you.