- Accredited Mental Health Social Worker, Australian Association of Social Workers
- Certificate in Social Services, Cassio College, General Social Care Council, UK
- Bachelor of Social Sciences, Luton University, UK
- Executive Masters in Business Administration, Hertfordshire University, UK
- Certificate IV Training and Assessment, TAE40110, HBA Learning Centres
- Yoga Teacher, Body,Mind,Life
- Diploma of Integrated Body Therapies, Australasian College of Natural Therapies
- Lifestyle Counsellor, Ayurveda Elements
- Parenting Program facilitator; Circle of Security, Tuning into Kids, 123 Magic and Emotional Coaching
- Certified Infant Massage Instructor, International Association of Infant Massage
- Member of AASW (Australian Association of Social Workers)
- Registered Medicare Provider
- Thursday: 11am-8pm
- Other times by arrangement
- $150 per 60 minute session
- Medicare rebates available with GP Mental Health Plan
- Some bulk billing and reduced fees are also available
Tiana Thomson has worked as a social worker in the fields of family support, child protection, drug and alcohol, domestic violence, mental health and sexual assault for over 35 years in both London and Sydney and within the government and non-government sectors. Her private practice is an extension of her many years of working with people, where she was able to provide support to those who seek to heal from trauma. Her warm, empathic style combined with her significant experience create a nurturing and transformative therapeutic experience.
A message from Tiana
I have degrees in Social Work and affiliated studies from the UK and am an accredited mental social health worker and clinical social worker in Australia. I work collaboratively with clients to build on strengths and current practices, to achieve your goals and establish positive habits. I draw tools and techniques from ACT, CBT, DBT, solution focused, strengths based, SMART and 12 step recovery, mindfulness, coaching and trauma informed care. I utilise Circle of Security, Tuning into Kids, 123 Magic, Infant Massage, and other parenting tools and techniques when appropriate. I combine these practice areas with alternative healing modalities such as yoga and Ayurveda. I am a Ayurvedic lifestyle consultant, yoga teacher, and infant massage instructor.
I am skilled in working holistically with the mind body connection, specifically in the context of the impact of complex trauma, on mind, body and behavioural responses and habits. I view most self destructive behaviours and habits as self protective, within the context of complex trauma. I believe that psycho-education empowers the individual to make informed choices and experiment with new techniques, to achieve their desired outcomes.
Working together we can build strategies to reduce the current impacts of complex trauma, and increase wholehearted conscious living. I provide time, support and strategies to address the impact of complex trauma on your current life situations, which can increase life skills, enjoyment and fulfilment while working towards your specific goals. I have extensive experience with adults, who as children were exposed to family violence, drug and alcohol use, bereavement, separation from parental care giver/s, or spent time in out-of-home care, as well as those who have experienced physical, sexual or emotional abuse and neglect as children.
I have a specific interest in working with women, lesbians, people in recovery, clients with current or historical mental health or drug and alcohol issues, family violence or sexual assault history, or those who are considering parenthood, or struggling with parenting.
All work together, will be undertaken at your pace and lead by your needs, goals and priorities through an individually tailored approach developed in consultation with you.
I have taught a variety of community services subjects at TAFE over 9 years, and continue to educate and provide clinical supervision for staff, social work and psychology students in a variety of mental health settings, individually and in groups.
I maintain a strong commitment to my continuing personal and professional development, attending relevant training and receiving regular clinical supervision.
I welcome all enquiries and am happy to have an initial obligation free discussion. I look forward to the possibility of working with you.